Saturday, April 27, 2013

Director's Update - April 2013

Jericho Christian Television is getting prepared for the Spring and Summer Camping Season with an all new retooling of our camping, video and computer equipment.  These changes will increase our safety and convenience during the camping season.  Let's take a couple of minutes of your time to highlight the most significant of the changes.
First, I started the retool by replacing the traditional tent with a 6' X 10' Utility Trailer that has been converted to provide me with a couch that converts to a bed along with a  galley for food preparation.  Amenities in the  galley are simple.  A small microwave oven  is being used for heating food rather than a propane camp stove.  In an effort to recycle, I used a chuck box purchased a couple years ago. While small, the chuck box provides ample storage for cups, glasses, bowls, etc.  One advantage of using the chuck box is a front door that drops down to make a table. The microwave oven as well as the coffee maker sit atop the chuck box.   Storage for perishables  is possible by using a marine ice chest/cooler. Consumables are stored in plastic boxes stored under the couch/bed.


Couch

Couch made into Bed

Microwave and Chuck Box
Tow Vehicle 4 X 4 with Utility Trailer
Looking at the rear of the Utility Trailer
Next in the upgrade was to install a computer that has lots of computing, processing and storage capabilities. Vendor selected was Dell.  A computer desk was built for the computer and monitor.  I never had an adequate work area when working out of a tent. I now have sufficient area to work comfortably inside the trailer.  I still will use a laptop when outside of the trailer, however I anticipate that the majority of my work will be done inside the trailer. Another problem that I have solved is lighting of my work area.  Inside the tent, options were limited but now I have built in lighting for the desk and my work area.  One of my biggest concerns over the years was the security of the cameras and computer.  Problem is now solved what with double locks on the trailer doors. 


Computer Desk and Work Area

Lastly is the satellite uplink that allows me to send photos and video in place where there is no WiFi or Cellular Service.  Service is slower than WiFi or Cellular but is fast enough to let us stream low bandwidth video, surf the Internet and send and receive e-mails. The satellite antenna is auto seek and auto store.  A very special friend donated the antenna and hardware to Jericho Christian Television.  We have elected not to mount the antenna on a vehicle but rather have created a mobile platform that is stored in the back of the pickup truck.  The mobile/portable platform is deployed once I arrive at my camping spot. This allows for us to move the antenna out from under the tree for acquisition of the satellite that we are assigned while leaving the trailer in the shade.  I hope to be able to post a photo of the platform at a later time.  


Hughes Net Satellite Terminal

Hughes Net Steerable Satellite Dish
 Perhaps we will meet on the High Road.  Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment